Mechanical Pumps

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I wish to know comments about performance of mechanical pumps, used in GC/MS, GCQQQ or ICPMS.
Specifically about the new Agilent DS42 and DS402 (ex Varian).
Regards,
Syringe
We got a DS42 in addition to the oil-less diaphragm pump with a new 5977 a year back. Our service guy looked the other way long enough for me to make the box diasappear. I installed it on a 5975 a year and a half ago and first thought I had a dead pump. Then I touched it and still thought I had a dead pump. I had to open the vent to hear the pump gurgle. It is the quietest pump I've ever had. It turns out, the DS42 is cheaper than the pfeiffer pumps. Thats the good news.

In the past two weeks I've heard different stories, one from an LCMS service tech and the other from a retired agilent consultant. The service tech says they are happy with the varian rough pumps and look to be switching over to them. The still active, but retired agilent consultant referred to a high failure rate (seals) as being a reason for getting away from the DS42.

I've been gathering up EM2s and DS42s and replacing the noisy pumps whenever possible. I had a dream about talking to 70 year old me, all he ever said was "Speak up sonny, I can't hear you. Did you say you're from the past? Would you swap out those noisy rough pumps and while you're at it, get off my grass." If I don't do something about it, 70 year old me is going to be a cranky, deaf dude. With this quiet lab, I can now hear the gentle chirping of the EPC shutting down while I do inlent maintenance.
Hi tdgcuser

Good point the noiseless issue.

I wish to collect info about working time without problems.

Thanks!
We had the rough pump replaced on our Agilent 7500 ICPMS with a DS402 and they are definitely quiet. On the down side we have noticed oil below them in the tray and it seems to be leaking a little around the seal where the shaft enters from the motor. Other than that it has been great.

We also purchased a 7000 QQQ last may, and it came with an Edwards RV5 which surprised the serves tech who installed it, but the Edwards is also very quiet. In fact the unit had a bad power board in the QQQ and on the second morning we could not figure out why the vacuum was bad until I touched the pump and found it was actually not running, it was so quiet the day before we didn't even think to check it.

I have the Varian HS 602 on our ABSciex 3200 LCMSMS and it has been a good pump for nine years so far. Every once in a while it will squeal a little, but I just blow the dust out from around the cooling fan and it usually quiets down again. Otherwise I barely know it is running.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Thanks for the input!
5 posts Page 1 of 1