Power Cycle MSD w/o Venting?

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
We had a power outage recently that shut down our instrument computer but not the MSD (connected to UPS). Now when I try to start Chem Station I get "MSD is in use by another session." The mass spec is an HP5973 and doesn't have a display or any controls located on the detector itself and I can't access instrument control to vent. I think there's an error in one of the network controller boards that can be cleared by power cycling, but I don't know if doing so without venting or cooling the source will damage anything. Can I power cycle without damaging anything?
Sure. Just don't unplug the rough pump. If the rough pump is powered by the Mass Spec make sure you're quick. Then, later (when vented), plug the rough pump into a UPS and not the MS.
Thanks! I was pretty sure that it would be OK, but I wanted a second opinion first. Everything seems to be connecting now!
Power cycle the hub,gc , and computer as well.
I have had to cycle the power on several Agilent MS units because of power flickers causing communication problems. A ten second off then on cycle usually resets everything and won't cause problems unless you have a really bad anti backflow valve on the rough pump. So far I have never had that problem.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
5 posts Page 1 of 1