SPME injection of Water

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello all,

I was hoping you could help me with a question I am having. My lab recently received a GC-MS with liquid and SPME capabilities. The use of the instrument is to look at trace chemicals in distilled spirits. When the technician came out he had already created a method based on using the 40% ethanol with the SPME fiber. Since the column is a TG-1701MS I was concerned that the samples may be incompatible with the column but he assured me that everything would be okay.

Does SPME allow a water based solution to be introduced in a 1701MS column without significant damage?

Thank you for your help.
There is not enough water remaining on the fiber to cause you a problem. It doesn't matter if it's a headspace sampling or an immersion sampling - as far as the water goes. I routinely have looked at the the headspace above water-based samples and have never experienced any problems.
I always do headspace SPME. IF necessary heat the sample more if the analytes are stable enough.

Injecting water isn't an issue it is the stuff in the water metals/ions/bases etc. water itself will pass harmlessly through the column and not much is injected with SPME.
3 posts Page 1 of 1