Ideal Balance gas for GC analysis of CO2 reduction products

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello All

I want to calibrate my GC to quantify reduction products from CO2 like CO, methane, ethene, H2, hydrocarbons. I am not sure which gas will be ideal for being a balance gas in my calibration units is co2 fine? or N2 is better?
This depends on which detector you will be using. If you are using a TCD, I would suggest that the balance gas should be the same as the carrier gas that you are using, otherwise you will get a huge peak for the balance gas that may hide some of your peaks of interest.

Gasman
Thanks @GasMan

I indeed am using TCD for their detection. What bothers me is i would be using mixture of gases in CO2 , so won't it be fine to have balance gas as CO2 itself?
Now I see what you are doing, yes it makes sense to have the balance gas as CO2.

Gasman
4 posts Page 1 of 1