Connection 5890 to Chemstation PC

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

17 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi y'all!

I am the benefactor of a "new" 5890 GC II system (yay, I know) but am having some difficulties with the whole PC communication part. The unit is in great shape it just did not come with the PC or software that were previously used to control it. Here are the relevant stats.

GC:
7683 Auto-injector
HPIB/RS-232 Communication board (19257-60015) *board*

PC:
Windows XP SP3
Chemstation A.06.01
Keysight IOLibSuite 17.1 (latest one that works with XP SP3)
HPIB 82350A PCI Board (HP82341 in config settings)

Chemstation initializes properly but gives me the "GC Instrument not detected" error. It does it for the injector as well but let us just remove the injector from the equation right now and focus on the GC. I can run the Keysight IO software and see that there is an "Unknown" instrument at the GPIO(0),11 address so I configured the instrument to be at address 11, but alas, same error.

I have scoured this forum for a resolution, which honestly has gotten me as far as I have so far, but cannot find a next step from here. I would truly appreciate some guidance from the ChomGurus!!!
I've used 5890 plenty with A.06.03, but never with any Windows as "new" as XP. And even though we did have some 6890 units controlled by IP addresses, what I remember best is control using HPIB/GPIB cables.

So I'll defer to someone who knows about XP and IP addresses. I believe you will get operational within a few days with help from here.

The 5890 is a good unit; I have used circuit boards, miscellaneous parts available for practically giveaway:
82335 HPIB board
82341 HPIB board
82350 HPIB board
19232-60020 TCD board
19231-60010 FID board (two)
19257-80040 Board (two)
18594-B0170 Controller box board for ALS
5061-3302 Board CIB board (five)
K9260EU-01 Board
05890-60945 Oven flapper motor 5890 (new)

18597-60255 ALS tower mount (rare type that fits both “A” and “B” 7673 towers)
03380-60070 Print head for 1084, 5830, 5840 (new)
Oven fan blade 5890
Oven fan motor 5890
FID housing 5890
0-30 psi pressure gauge
FID/TCD gas valves/ignitor switch

19251-60560 Capillary split/splitless injection solenoid (new)
19257-60020
19246-60530 Controller
Oven heater and support 5890
05890-80300 Main board 5890
Oven flapper with motor 5890
19300-80710 Oven heater wire (new, two)
05890-60050 Board
Pressure controller 5890
Front keyboard and attached circuit board 5890
19362-60570 Gas controller (new)
Hi there,
It is a long time since I have set up a 5890 using GPIB but I do remember that you have to configure the interface exactly the way the manual states. Is there a PDF on the Chemstation disk that explains things. I recall that the GPIB addresses and names set up in the IO software have to match that indicated in the chemstation manual else things don't work.

You mention keysight io suite. Is this the version on the chemstation disk as the name seems unfamiliar to me. I thought that the io suite was on the same disk as chemstation

Let me know how things go.
Kevin
using IOLibs config you have to name your GPIB host adapter exactly hp82341

Please note the difference between SICL and VISA name. hp82341 has to be the SICL name.

Also you can have a look to
http://www.unichrom.com/hpx890/hpx890e.shtml
and installation manual
http://www.unichrom.com/hpx890/hp5890%2 ... %20eng.pdf

ad give it a try
http://www.unichrom.com/dle.php
Thank you all for the recommendations! I went back a few steps and decided to start with a fresh hard drive and NT 4.0 to minimize conflicts. I got about as far this time but I feel a lot more confident in moving forward.

Here is a PDF of the install instructions for reference.

I did have the IOLibs file on the CD so I installed that file and ran IOConfig but received this error message.

I had no more directions to go from here so I installed Chemstation and configured it to see if it would work and...of course it didn't. So it seems like my system is either i) not recognizing the HPIB card or ii) not recognizing it as the correct board. I am not familiar with NT but did not see the PCI slots cataloged anywhere.

The only other clue I have to go off of is an error message on startup that is produced by these events.

Anyone have some insight on this? I am now stumped again, albeit in a different direction. Why is my 82350 HPIB card not being recognized when I use IOConfig?
I'm retired now, going from memory....

I think you need to configure the card manually (not Auto Add), and type in "hp82341" (small hp) even though the card can be 82350.

Then you set the bus address to 30 (of course I have no idea why). Those are in the HPIB/GPIB instructions.
I agree with the last post. You will have to reboot once you have put in the manual settings.
One thing you can look at once you have done this if issues persist is whether the interface card is being detected - there should be an entry in the device manager.

Hope things work out
Kevin
KM-USA wrote:
I'm retired now, going from memory....

I think you need to configure the card manually (not Auto Add), and type in "hp82341" (small hp) even though the card can be 82350.

Then you set the bus address to 30 (of course I have no idea why). Those are in the HPIB/GPIB instructions.

I just spent another couple hours trying to trouble shoot this and re-read all the forum posts on the subject.

The error message linked above is what I get when I try to manually configure the board. This is what I see when I highlight the hp82341 board and click "Configure". Why can't I even manually configure it?

I believe I am using NT 4.0 SP1...could it be a service pack issue?

Does NT have some weird PCI card detection issues?

I'm stumped...
Okay I just made some relevant progress. I noticed in a few screenshots that people had the option to select the 82350 Board in the IOConfig application and I did not. So I went to the Keysight IO download link and downloaded the H and J revision drivers.
*EDIT* The drivers that are on my version of chemstation are F, so that's what I started with

With both drivers I now can add the board correctly.
SICL Name: hp82341
GPIB0, Logic 7, BUS 30
PIC

I was pretty pumped at this point because it seemed like that would solve it. Alas, the problems persist. I still get the same error message when I open Instrument(online): PIC

Do I need to do anything with the VISA ASSISTANT?

Further into the breach!
laxdudeee wrote:
With both drivers I now can add the board correctly.
SICL Name: hp82341
GPIB0, Logic 7, BUS 30
PIC

I was pretty pumped at this point because it seemed like that would solve it. Alas, the problems persist. I still get the same error message when I open Instrument(online): PIC

Now go into Configuration Editor and Configure Instrument 1, using the correct code/address for both the GC mainframe and any autosampler. Factory default address for the GC mainframe is 15. The 7673 injector default address may be 8.
I did that but forgot to mention it. Thanks for catching that ;) I checked the DIP switches on the GC comm board and it is set to address 15.

I feel like I have solved the easy problems... the board is definitely being detected because it does find it with "auto add".
I have a 5890-FID GPIB with 7673 ALS. I have G1701BA SP2 Chemstation MSD with WIndows 2000 pro SP4. I used HP IOLIBS H version. I didn't have any trouble other than determining the GC HPIB address. I have the ISA card that is the 50 I believe.
I had the same problem and after trying everything the problem was tbe lenguage setting on xp. I had a german version of windows xp and it had english UK as a default, i changed it to english US and it worked.
So long as it's topical to the thread- has anyone tried any of the GPIB to USB adapters sold on eBay (and I presume elsewhere) to get GPIB hardware to "talk" via USB?

Example auction (I have no affiliation):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UG01-USB-to-GPI ... 2556851834
osp001 wrote:
has anyone tried any of the GPIB to USB adapters sold on eBay (and I presume elsewhere) to get GPIB hardware to "talk" via USB?

I haven't, I'm retired - but I think those are why site members like KM-USA are practically giving away working 82341 and 82350 circuit boards.
17 posts Page 1 of 2