What detector are these?

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm looking into some used SRI GCs, I know they are a little outdated but I just want to know if anyone has any info on them because there is little on the SRI website anymore. The one I'm looking at the guy doesn't know the detector type but I'm guessing from the pic it at least includes a (FID), can anyone else tell from the picture? The pics arent good and these are two different models, the top is a SRI 8610 and the one below is a SRI 9300.

Are you convinced this can be a good decision? Try running some analytical tests at least. We now these machines use to be very expensive, but it is always better avoiding surprises. Hoping all the best.
I'm not sure its a good descision, think it would be safer if i just stick to the traditional hp 5890 II?
roostorf,

The top is a PID (photoionization detector) which is selective and has a lamp which is a consumable.

The bottom looks like the SRI FID with the "glow plug" coming in from the right and the collector coming off of the elbow.

I am a firm believer in the 5890 chassis.

What is it you want to actually do with your GC?

Best regards,

AICMM
I live in northern California where the medical marijuana scene is really big and I have always had an interest in gas chromatography, and I really want to do potancy and terpene analysis. I know it's kind it's weird/expensive hobby, but I'm pretty sure I can do it, there are some well written procedures and I have done research on operating them for quite a while.
roostorf,

Either of these detectors would do the job you want to do although the PID might suffer from the fact that you would need to run it very hot. The bigger issue, in my opinion, is the injectors on these GC's since the simplest ones typically did not come with splitless/split but rather on-column injectors. I have set up a local GC (using the customers 5890) and have found that it needs to be run with a split injection since the amount of THC extracted is quite high. If using the FID you will probably not exceed the linear range of the detector (amazing that way) but if you choose the PID you almost certainly will. The bigger issue is that you will likely exceed the capacity of the column (unless you go packed, not recommended) if you do not run split.

Best regards,

AICMM
Great help,
So I have decided against the SRI ones because they seem much more expensive to service if I need to and I got better pics and I'm not 100% sure it is working. I think I have a good idea of what I am looking for, or looking to build if need be.

HP 5890 series II
At least one FID, preferably x2
Dual injectors, at least one split
Restek 30m Rtx-5ms column
possibly 12m MXT-WAX column for terpene analysis
HPIB GPIB so it connects to a computer
Hydrogen and Nitrogen Gas

Other accessories needed will probably be
milligram accurate scientific balance
5ul syringe
chemstation software
computer with HPIB interface card
methanol
40 ml glass vials
Restek Cannabinoid and Terpene callibration standards

I was thinking ideally the split injector could go to the RTX 5 column for to FID potency testing and the other injector could go to the MXT-WAX to FID for terpene analysis. I not sure if both columns can go to the same detector or if I need Dual FID, also I am not sure what injector type is best for terpene analysis. the procedure I read said you use a headspace sample for this and I was thinking a pack injector would be best for that, but then I dont know about connecting packed injectors to capillary columns. I also dont know if I even need dual anything because I was thinking both potency and terpene testing might be able to run through the same injector, column and detector.
Any input would be great, I am hoping with some frugal shopping I can get everything together $2000-$3000
Hello,

I think it is a PID - Photoionization Detector
8 posts Page 1 of 1