Do polar analytes damage nonpolar columns?

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
I have recently encountered some debate over the principles of chromatography with various "chromatographers." One debate in particular is regarding column and analyte polarity: I have heard some people claim that polar substances will "damage" nonpolar columns and vise versa. I was wondering if anyone could assist in settling this debate by responding with their knowledge/experience. Thank you.
Use of column with anything will damage it, to a degree, of course. Even when stays idle it has a lifetime. From the course of chemistry we know that polar compounds are more reactive, therefore they will attack column material more aggressive.

There are exceptions depending on specific column chemistries. For example, some polymeric polar column phases can get swollen in low polarity solvents and their stricture will be damaged, even when its chemistry is unaffected. But for the efficient performance it needs both structural properties – right porosity, no channels and unchanged chemistry.
"If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment." Rutherford
Compared to oxygen and water in the carrier gas, heavy muck in samples, little bits of septum and glass wool from the inlet and the effects of high temperatures, I doubt that the usual polar compounds (I presume that we are talking alcohols, diols, free (organic) acids etc) in the usual quantities (up to low micrograms) will have any measurable effect at all.

Peter
Peter Apps
Thank you for your input. :D
4 posts Page 1 of 1