Stator/stator face ambiguity

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
I am just trying to clarify what is the stator and what is the stator face. I'm trying to learn and keep seeing contradicting views.
I have seen/heard both ways below referred to on the internet. From most sources I think this first picture is the stator face.

But other sites and people will call the same part the stator and call the metal part the stator head or face.

Here's a picture with what I think is correct but I'm really not sure because I'm trying to learn and it's not consistent.

In summary, is the stator the outermost part or the one right inside of there?
Good evening,

My vote is for the stator face being the TEFZEL/PEEK/ceramic portion (beige in the photo) and the stator (assembly) being the outer portion.
MattM
1st, skip "Chromeacademy" as much of their articles are incorrect. Do not knwo who writes for them, but lots of inaccurate stuff on there.

OK. As applied to Rheodyne/IDEX parts (which is what you refer to) the correct names are as follows:

The outer disc with all of the ports is called the "Valve Stator Plate". This could be Stainless Steel, another type of metal or PEEK. Sometimes these require replacement (i.e. When the user has abused/damaged the HPLC system).

The internal polymeric part that requires regular replacement with the holes/grooves is called the Valve Stator or sometimes the "Rotor Seal" (or Valve Rotary Seal). This is the most important part of the valve (because we replace these a lot) and is usually known as a rotor seal (rotary seal) when used alone for all brands,

Other common brands of valves, such as VICI (Valco Instruments Co) use similar names. For consistency, it is best to go to the specific valve manufacturer's own website and review the specific diagram for your valve. When ordering parts, use their names.
Do any of these stator/stator valves even have a stator in them? A stator is a very specific thing in motors, right?

The whole assembly must have a stator at some point to use electricity to rotate back and forth. But why do we use the term stator for the thing that just has input/output ports? That's not a stator.
Hello Rjs,

I believe in the case of the rheodyne manual injectors, the stator is referring to the plastic piece of the assembly that does not actually move, as opposed to the rotor. The stator, in this case, is simply referring to the non-rotational portion of this assembly, while the rotor is able to be moved/repositioned to allow flow through different channels, as in for making an injection or flushing to waste. Here's an excerpt about stators off of wikipedia: "In fluid powered devices, the stator guides the flow of fluid to or from the rotating part of the system." Ala, moving liquid (during an injection) from a flow-path that excludes the sample-loop, to a position that includes the sample loop (after injection and turning the knob).

I hope that helps!
Sometimes it actually helps if you've been plagued with Latin in school :roll:
"Stator" from "stare" = to stand. So a Stator, as already mentioned, is generally something that doesn't move. Same origin as "static". So it wouldn't make any sense at all to name something Stator which is actually moving.
I'm also used to the naming "Stator" for the static metal part and "rotor seal" for the "moving disc".
6 posts Page 1 of 1