Removing the Holmium Oxide Filter Lever

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
We are trying to solve a severe lack of sensitivity on our 1100 DAD 1315B. We have replaced the lamp which did not help and now we are in the process of taking out and cleaning the achromat assembly and cell support assembly. Unfortunately we cannot figure out how to remove the filter lever. The exact procedure to do so is not in the reference manual and Agilent will not help us over the phone at this level of internal mischief.

If anyone can describe how to get that lever off so that we can remove the achromat assembly we would appreciate it.
I've done this but my memory is a bit hazy. Do you have the optics unit completely out of the unit? Seem to remember the arm is flipped over by a little motor. Arm is just held in the motor by a small plastic tab. Take the optics unit out (easier than it looks!) and hopefully it becomes clear
Hello

Filter is in black plastic holder. Holder is installed in optical unit.
The trick is that you need to use paper clip to move small plastic wings - they block filter holder in unit and prevent moving during operation.
It is easy when you know how to do it - I'd recommend to order new plastic holder just in case if you brake old one.

And first of all - do not fix things if you've never done it before. You can brake expensive parts and make all repairs even more expensive.

Regards

Tomasz Kubowicz
Thank you for the replies. We did manage to press in the tabs and pull out the lever buuuuut..... we did mutilate one of the tabs. This was an old detector that we eventually confirmed as DOA and bringing in a service tech was out of the question - I agree in principle to not be too adventurous with repairs in areas that one is not familiar but on old equipment I will make exception for learning and fun.

We were able to mickey mouse the lever in place with some teflon tape (I know, not recommended) but our horrible sensitivity test results were never improved by anything we tried and this old DAD is going in as a trade in and we have a new detector on order.
4 posts Page 1 of 1