flow cell pressure

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

The pressure limit for the flow cell i'm working with, is about 60 bars.
How can i measure the pressure in the flow cell to see if i'm ok or i work near the limits?

Thanks
I won't worry about it. I never had a PDA/DAD flowcell crack. But, I did have a RI cell crack and that was due to a pressure differential (ramping the flow-rate too fast).

As I recall the HPLC system is rated to go up to ~500 bars (5000 psi?) before the nuts and bolts start flying across the room!
Hello.
Connect the cell directly to pump and raise mobile flow gradually and check the pressure.
Best regards,
Dmitriy A. Perlow
i would like to know if the only thing that can rise the cell pressure (except blockage) is another system (detector maybe) connected after the DAD.

Is it true?
It will raise the pressure. It's hard for me to say how much and how to investigate it.
Best regards,
Dmitriy A. Perlow
"How can i measure the pressure in the flow cell to see if i'm ok or i work near the limits?"

You would have to directly connect a pressure gauge between the column outlet and the detector's flow cell. This is impractical for HPLC analysis (due to introduced mixing and excess dwell volume, plus the cost too). Normally, a detector's flow cell has an outlet to the ATM. So only a very small amount of pressure should be present inside it. If a clog or obstruction appears anywhere along the flow path from your pump to the flow cell inlet, then you could exceed the cell's pressure rating. For some flow cell types this means the flow cell will rupture and require replacement or rebuilding (often at great cost). For some other types of flow cell's, the cells are specially designed to "leak" and relieve the pressure resulting in NO damage to the cell. The leak would be how you detect it. If you have plumbed your HPLC system with properly made and seated connectors, run clean samples, clean mobile phase, do not have precipitation of mobile phase or sample during the run, then you are unlikely to ever have a clog. Use of Buffers and/or a lack of maintenance (flushing the system out every day to remove them) are the primary causes that lead to clogged flow cells.

You also asked about having a second detector in-line to the first. Yes, if the second detector (or line leading to it) clogs, then that will result in over-pressurization upstream to the first detector. Again, the best way to minimize this is following good HPLC practices and methods. Such events are very rare and often the causes of the plugs are well known.

From a purely practical perspective, with single detector system (most common), most any reasonable flow cell rating should be fine (60 Bars is fine). It pays to look it up for each flow cell you use. Some have very low ratings (esp. RID, Fluor) and can be damaged from placing small restrictions on the outlet lines to reduce bubble formation (commonly used with some applications). For dual detectors applications OR special valve configurations, if available, using a high pressure rated cell (400/600 Bars or whatever the max limit is set to for your method) for the 1st detector (or even 1st and 2nd) can be good insurance, but not necessary for most methods.

BTW: Please do not connect your pump directly to the flow cell and just ramp up the flow rate to test its rating. If the line is restricted enough (and that is what you would be measuring, not the flow cell pressure) you may simply rupture the flow cell when it reaches its max. Not very practical unless your goal is to conduct a test to demonstrate failure of the flow cell.
jcwagner wrote:
i would like to know if the only thing that can rise the cell pressure (except blockage) is another system (detector maybe) connected after the DAD.

Is it true?

Anything which is added after the detector will increase the backpressure. Can be (as you mentioned another detector, but also additional capillary will do so.
Dr. Markus Laeubli
Manager Marketing Support IC
(retired)
Metrohm AG
9101 Herisau
Switzerland
... or just undo the fitting leading into the PDA while it's running, and see how much the pressure drops. This is the pressure the PDA is experiencing. If you think that the pressure is too high because of downstream detectors, take the tube you've just disconnected from the PDA inlet, attach it to the tubing from the PDA outlet, and see how much the pressure goes back up again. That's the pressure generated by the downstream detectors and tubing.
It's not normally a problem for PDA, but it might be for more delicate flow cells, like fluorescence; if you're using fluorescence and another detector that has to go after the fluorescence detector (for example CAD, ELSD or MS, which destroy the sample) then consider splitting the flow.
8 posts Page 1 of 1