LC-10AS Shimadzu Is it Broken?

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I am new to the field of Chromatography. I was not formally trained, just kind of a "Learn as you go" job.

So, I have issues with my Shimadzu... It wasn't pumping properly, so I kinda took it apart and put it back together. Now I have a leaky inlet. I see pictures of plastic caps in the end of the piece online. Are those necessary? Because... we never had them.
There's an old saying that "experience gained is in direct proporion to equipment ruined" (I'm living proof of that). Since you have access to a parts diagram on-line, look at what the "piece at the end" is actually called (probably a "check valve"). Then go and order a spare set (it's a good idea to have spares around in any case). When they come in, install them (carefully!) and pay attention to any differences with what's in there at the moment.

Yes, many check valves *do* have a plastic sealing ring or spacer, and if it's missing, the valve *will* leak. It's quite possible that someone before you cleaned the check valves and didn't put them back together correctly.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
plastic pieces are likely seal backwash fittings - nice to have/use but not required if you are not using buffer salts.
Thanks,
DR
3 posts Page 1 of 1