does anyone know how to separate 4-aminophenol from paraceta

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

12 posts Page 1 of 1
does anyone know how to separate 4-aminophenol from paracetamol using RP HPLC?
Excel
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Thanks a lot, Tom.

This is a quick reply.

Does this mean any typical RP column with ion exchange mechanism will not provide good retention for 4-aminophenol?

Is the mix-mode column robust and reproducible from batch to batch, and well acceptable to FDA?

I am grateful.
Jim
Excel
Hi

The Ph. Eur. has a method. The resolution requirements between 4-aminophenol (Imp K) and Paracetamol is NLT 4.0. This application should provide a good starting point.

Regards
Mike
Thanks Mike.

USP has a SCX method but I am searching a RP method. I do not have easy access to Ph Eu. Do you notice the separation mode of the Ph Eu method?

Thanks
Jim
Excel
Hello.
Register at Pharmeuropa online and get public draft of Pharmeuropa 28.1 that provides paracetamol too: https://extranet.edqm.eu/4DLink1/4DCGI/Web_View/mono/49
Best regards,
Dmitriy A. Perlow
Does this mean any typical RP column with ion exchange mechanism will not provide good retention for 4-aminophenol?
Depends on the pH. The pKa's are listed as 5.5 and 10.5

Is the mix-mode column robust and reproducible from batch to batch, and well acceptable to FDA?
I don't have any hands-on experience with it, but it's been around for a while. I don't see how the FDA could have any objection so long as you do a proper validation.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Hi ym3142

I could email you the monograph. Please forward me your email address.

Regards
Mike
Excel
Hi Mike

Thanks a lot for taking time sending me the Eu Ph.

I notice the Rt for 4-aminophenol was ~1.4 min and the void time is 1.6 min. K'<0.

What's the industry general practice and/or regulation requirements now? I thought K' should be >1.
Excel
Hi ym3142

This is not ideal as generally you would want k' to be at least 1. One way of increasing k' is by reducing the column temp i.e. from 35C to 25C. The organic portion of the mobile phase could also be reduced. This will have an impact on all the imps.

The USP 40 NF35 S2 has a method for 4-aminophenol in Acetaminophen API monograph. This method is a gradient method which will probably allow 4-aminophenol to be seperated from the void.

Regards
Hi Mike

Thanks again.

USP method is of SCX, which should be good for 4-aminophenol itself but I am afraid of it is no good for the separation of many other impurities I need to deal.
Excel
12 posts Page 1 of 1