ISO 17025 Requirements

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I am looking into the quality control requirements for HPLC liquid flowmeters, and whether any bodies or organisations are being asked to provide ISO 17025 accreditaed calibration for their flowmeter, i.e via UKAS / NIST / DKD
In forty years of HPLC, I have never seen a flow meter actually used. Flow accuracy is measured periodically as part of performance qualification, but that is typically done the "old-fashioned" way with a stopwatch and a volumetric flask. For day-to-day operstion, the drad time (t0) on the chromatogram provides verification.

So zI think the answer is "no".
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
Hi fumanchu69,

In my time as an Army contract chemist we worked under ISO 17025, and while once we had to demonstrate the successful operation of an ion chromatograph in the presence of vibration (ie. tanks driving past the lab, artillery firing and the like) we never had to demonstrate eluent flow rate delivery by any other means than as Tom described...a volumetric flask and validated timer were sufficient. I suppose, to be "extra thorough", you could validate the volume of the volumetric flask...once you've done that though, you may be "stuck" with doing that every time afterward, please be warned.
MattM
3 posts Page 1 of 1