In-Line Filter for LC

Discussions about HPLC, CE, TLC, SFC, and other "liquid phase" separation techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hey all, first post on the forum, happy to find an awesome chroma community!

I've been looking into purchasing some in-line filters to extend the life of the columns in my lab! I was hoping someone on here had strong recommendations as to which in-line filters I should look into purchasing.

I work in a toxicology lab so we analyze urine, which is a pretty dirty analyte. At the moment, we switch out columns after about 2000 samples. We use Accucore aQ 2.6um columns. Not sure if that is important information or not. But hoping to extend the life of these.

Thanks to anyone who responds! Let me know if more info is needed.
First of all, 2k injections is actually a fairly reasonable lifetime for an HPLC column.

Second, you have to look at the definition of "dirty". If your samples contain lots of particulate matter then an inline filter will help. Take a look at the final prepped samples; if you see any haziness, that's a warning sign.

That said, if the prepped samples are clear and/or your columns are dying because the retention or peak spacing changes, then an inlinw filter will not help. A better choice would be the use of a guard cartrdge, ideally filled with the same packing as your column.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
moreysalzman wrote:
I've been looking into purchasing some in-line filters to extend the life of the columns in my lab!
That's my favorite (Ti, 0.5 um): https://www.vici-jour.com/filters/hp-sure-guard.php

It's only mechanical filters (guard column inlet frit from mechanical contamination).
I agree with Tom! You have more to gain by inserting a guard column because it could be completely retained solutes from your samples that affect your chromatographic resolution/separation and 'kill' your column.
Thank you tom! After briefly looking into the guards it is exactly what I was looking for. Already found a decent one that's specifically for my columns.
I agree with Tom. In-line filters and guard columns were many time issued here in the forum. Maybe you will find other interesting posts on that matter here.
2000 injections on one column is really not bad.
Gerhard Kratz, Kratz_Gerhard@web.de
6 posts Page 1 of 1